Monday, May 5, 2008

Irritated with Blogger/ Anecdote

Let's try this again...

Two posts in one day! Try not to lose your chonies in all the excitement. My students are in the typing stage of their research paper (also known as the PANIC, ohmygosh, what-is-all-this stage), and I had some free time, so here is a little anecdote for you:

When I was little, I loved singing in church (I still do). I loved hearing all the different parts, loved the different tempos, loved it all. I ALWAYS sang along, even before I knew how to read the words in a songbook. I figured out that if I listened well enough, I could figure out the words on my own. Once I did learn to read well enough to read the words myself (around the age of 5), I didn’t bother, because I thought I already knew them. Around the time I turned nine, I realized I’d been mistaken on a few of the lyrics. What follows are the original lyrics to the song, followed by what I had been singing:

Original lyrics: “He sought me and bought me with His redeeming blood.”

What I sang: “He socked me and bopped me with His redeeming club.”

Original lyrics: “Now let us have a little talk with Jesus...”

What I sang: “Now let us have a little chocolate Jesus…”

Original lyrics: “Roll the gospel chariot along…”

What I sang: “Roll the gospel cherry on the lawn…”

*EDIT* And one from my dad:

Original lyrics: "I once was lost in sin, but Jesus took me in, and then a little light from heaven filled my soul..."

What I sang: "I once was lost in sin, I wish I was again! and then a little light from heaven spanked my soul!"


There's this saying that I love: “If you can’t sing good, sing loud.” Yes, there were times that some of us youth group girls made fun of the loud (bad) singers around us, but now the loud singers are my favorites, because they're not at all concerned what they sound like to the other worshipers; they are singing praise to God, and they only care that their worship is pleasing to Him. And I am willing to bet that it is.




2 comments:

Danna Ramsey said...

Ha! My girls love to roll the gospel cherry. :-)

Being a Star said...

I have one. "Low in the grave he lay"
we sang "low in the gravy layed"
Doesn't make sense but brings back memories.
Just thought i would share.
Michelle