I am always trying to keep track of the books I read, but I never manage to do a very good job. I thought I would try to do some book reviews on here; that way, I can keep track of what I have read, and whoever reads this thing might decide to read something new because of my reviews. I don't go into much detail about plot, because I tend to get too wordy when I do that. I did include a link in the title of each book though, and you can read more about the plot there. Here are the first three reviews!
Unaccustomed Earth: This is the latest short story collection from my favorite author, Jhumpa Lahiri. I have been waiting for this for a long time, and I was not disappointed. I love Jhumpa Lahiri for several reasons, but the thing I admire most about her is the beautiful simplicity in her words. I have literally gotten chills from reading her stories. She may be writing about a culture very different from my own (another reason I love her), but she puts moments and experiences in such a way that I feel like I am there, and it is my experience. There is no clutter, just characters that I connect to and don't want to let go of. I laughed out loud, and held back tears too. I give it 5 stars.
Up the Down Staircase: I casually mentioned to my dear friend Bobbie (also English Department head at SHS) that I had been wanting to read this, and the week after, she gave it to me as a gift, complete with cry-inducing inscription. This book is about a first year teacher, and is made up of memos (which have been replaced at SHS by emails), students compositions, and letters. It only needs an update or two, and it could be the story of my life. I found myself cheering this young woman on, and I could identify with her every struggle. I think even those who do not teach would enjoy this. I give it 5 stars.
My Sister's Keeper: I never bothered to read this book three years ago when everyone else was reading it; I thought the plot sounded too technical for me. But I finally picked it up, and I am so glad I did. I have never read a book that challenged me to think as much as My Sister's Keeper. It's a hard book to read. Not hard as in complicated, but hard because it does raise so many moral questions. It's not a happy book (sorry Mom), but it is fascinating, captivating, and thought-provoking. This is the first book in a long time that has not only made me cry, but that made me cry hard. I give it 5 stars.
I promise I won't give all the books that I review 5 stars~ it just so happened that I read three truly wonderful and important books in a row. Happy reading!
Sunday, June 1, 2008
Reading Recap
Posted by Trisha at 7:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Every book by Jodi Picoult is difficult. She gives you an impossible situation, looks at it from every angle, and then ends the book without a complete resolution. I just finished "Change of Heart", and it's good too. I also really loved "Unaccustomed Earth!"
So, did you eat any crawdads? They really are delicious. Just like baby lobsters. That live in muddy creeks.
Post a Comment