Friday, October 3, 2008

Pet Peeves

There are about a hundred things I should be doing right now, but instead I need to write about how much I dislike these things:

1. Slow Drivers~ All I ask is that you go the speed limit. Goodness, there is an entire line of cars behind you. Take that as a hint that you are moving too slowly, and speed up.

2. Grocery Store "Crowders"~ This is the phrase I have coined for people who think they are the only people at the grocery store. They cut you off to get to the milk, they block the whole aisle with their cart... if you don't know what I am talking about, then you are one of these people. Practice polite shopping habits.

3. Unruly children in church~ Uh-oh.... touchy subject. I carefully phrased this because I am not talking about crying babies. A baby crying in one thing-- an eight-year-old crawling under the pew and stage-whispering to their friend behind them is quite another.

4. Gum~ I have never been a big gum person, mostly because of how people look when they chew it. I don't chew gum for that reason alone. Lately, I have been irritated by people talking around their gum. Take the gum out or tuck it under your tongue as you talk-- just don't make me have to look at it while you are telling your big dramatic story.

5. Sarah Palin's Vocabulary~ I have no intentions of getting into a political debate, because I am not as well-informed as I would like. But her choice of words (i.e. darn) grates on my nerves. I understand that she is trying to appeal to the middle class. As a member of the middle class, I find her vocabulary less than professional and more than annoying. And I would hope that our future Vice-President would be a professional.

Oh, I hate to be so negative. Here are five positive things to counter the above complaining:

1. We are going to see Les Miserables tonight! I saw it in Los Angeles when I was in high school, and LOVED it. I have heard that the Little Rock production is actually really good, so I am looking forward to it.

2. It's AUTUMN! I have been loving this weather~ it encompasses so many of my favorite things! Football, fall colors, outdoor time, open windows... it's beautiful!

3. I sponsor the Beta Club at SHS, and my co-sponsor is the absolute most helpful person I have ever met. She doesn't read this blog (I don't think), but I am so thankful for her and all that she does.

4. My students can be so funny. I am thankful for their humor, especially when it is classroom appropriate/ on topic.

5. Sarah Palin's bangs~ I have been a long time supporter of bangs (as you may well know), and I really like hers. She is the Bang Advocate. No, I am the Bang Advocate and she is my spokesperson.

Have a great weekend everybody!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I am so jealous that you are seeing Les Mis--I love that show! I saw it in Memphis at the Orpheum several years ago, and would love to see it again. Let me know how it was!

Jenny said...

Amen on the gum!

Stephanie said...

I agree with all your peeves but especially slow drivers. You wouldn't know this from my gentle spirit now ;-) but I used to wish I had a big rubber car so I could just knock them out of the way (like bumper cars).

Hope you had a great mini-vacation.

Sara said...

Ugh! I hate grocery store crowders. Seriously, people need to watch where they are going. I think all of the crowders like to go to Costco at the same time just to get in my way.
P.S. I love your blog. It's so fun to see what grown-up Trish Box's life is like. :)