A few interesting anecdotes from this week:
* I am always in a hurry when I leave the house, but Wednesday, I was in an absolute tizzy. I got to school though, and was just calming down when my cell phone rang. A friend of a friend passed our home on her way to work and saw the garage door open. I had forgotten to close it, and we were both already in town. The woman who called said that her husband would close it when he went by, and so it was seemingly not a big deal, and I didn't even bother Jason with it. Fast forward an hour~ Jason calls to tell me that one of our neighbors saw someone in a red van pull into our driveway and disappear into the house, so the neighbor called the sheriff and then Jason. So I had to quickly relate my mistake with the garage door and my friend of a friend, and we had little fires to put out for sure! Jason called the sheriff and told them that they did NOT need to be on the lookout for a red van. Then he called our neighbor to explain. I called the friend of a friend, and told her that, due to a nosy neighbor, the sheriff may or may not question her husband. Mess!
* That same day, I told my 5th period class that a Fried Ice Cream blast from Sonic would put me in a better mood that afternoon when I planned to make their tests up. I said it in passing and completely forgot about it. After school, here came one of my boys, blast in hand. I just don't want to forget that that happened, because it made my day.
* Then there's Thursday morning, otherwise known as insanity personified. I needed to make a test for my 6th and 7th period classes, and thought Detention Hall duty would be the perfect time to do that. I go in at 6:45, and watch kids sit there. I usually get a ton of stuff done. My plan was to spend the first 15 minutes buying airline tickets for Christmas break, then put the test together. I found some reasonable tickets, entered all the information, and clicked "confirm". The screen that followed told me there was an error with my order, and that my order was not complete. This happened three times, and forty minutes later, I finally got a confirmation screen. The confirmation screen said that my confirmation number would be in my email, and so I opened up my email. There were FOUR email confirmations for EIGHT different tickets. I kid you not. I did some internal panicking, and as soon as DHall was dismissed, I called Jason and begged him to try to fix it. Of course he got on the phone right away. I still hadn't made my tests, I thought our account was about to be charged four times, and I had 21 kids waiting for me in my room. I just kept telling myself, "You can get it all done during 2nd period conference." Jason emailed me halfway through first period to tell me that the tickets were (probably) going to be okay, so that calmed me down. 2nd period rolled around, and I was just sitting down to make my test when my intercom beeped: "Mrs. White, can you please sit in on a 504 conference?" 504 conferences are hard to explain, but all you need to know is this: "sit in on" is a literal term. They just need a teacher in there to represent the student (or something). So I sat and listened for 45 minutes, and still had no test. I had just enough time in my 30-minute lunch to get the test made, and it turned out to be not so bad.
Needless to say, I am glad Friday is here. I have a cold, so I plan to spend the weekend holed up in the house grading essays and blowing my nose. I may go to Piggott for a baby shower Sunday, depending on how bad this cold gets. It's supposed to rain all weekend, so it's the perfect opportunity to stay in and catch up on grading. Hope all is well with everybody!
Friday, September 12, 2008
Tidbits
Posted by Trisha at 7:57 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh my word, I would have been freaking out, and there probably would have been nothing internal about it! Congrats on being Super Teacher and getting it all done. :) Hope you have a good weekend!
Wow.
I thought mom couldn't work a computer. You've regressed.
You are still my hero for doing what you do as a teacher.
Bro
I've missed reading your blog entries, but I completely understand being very busy. I hope all is going well for you guys and will try to hold out until you post again! :)
Post a Comment