Monday, July 21, 2008

California Dreamin'

We got back from our trip to California yesterday. We had a great time! We spent time with family, went to the beach, and to the mountains, and just enjoyed being on vacation. Jason rode bikes (motorcycles and bicycles), and I did lots of shopping and reading. I took the camera, but only took a few pictures. I will post them later.

For some reason, we are always a little shell-shocked when we get back from a California trip. Even though we love our life and home here in Searcy, we can't believe we live here. It's so different from the world we grew up in! We are happy to be home though. Jason is at work, and I am working on getting things together here at home~ laundry, bills, grocery lists, cleaning out closets, etc... Those of you that live in Searcy, I am going to be having a little clothing sale soon, so watch for details on that!

In other (wonderful) news, I have a new niece to meet! Caroline Kate Box was born Friday, July 18th, and is healthy and beautiful! Jason and I can't wait to meet her sweet little self!

Like I said, I had plenty of time to read on our trip (3 days each way in the car= time to read!). I want to review them all, but since there are so many, I'm not going into much detail. Here goes:

Stolen Innocence
~ Long, but incredibly interesting and heart-breaking. I don't read much non-fiction, but I am always drawn to these accounts of women who broke out of the FLDS polygamist sects. This one was especially interesting because this girl is the same age as me. I give it five stars.

Escape~ Another interesting account of breaking free from the FLDS. This amazing thing about this woman is that she managed to escape with her 8 children. Fascinating. Five stars.

Love the One You're With~ I found the plot and characters underdeveloped. Entertaining but forgettable. 3 stars.

Chasing Harry Winston
~ Chick lit bliss. I read this one first, and I have forgotten most of it, but it was fun and fluffy and perfect for summer vacation. 4 stars.

Belong to Me~ Recommended by my sis-in-law Jenny, and rightfully so. I loved the book, loved the detail Marisa de los Santos puts into her writing... everything about this book was beautiful. A new favorite. 5 billion stars.

0 comments: